Phase One – Completed!
Two administrative workers recently retired from MLS. Through consolidation of some responsibilities and limiting daily interruptions to the reception position only, the school did not need to replace all of the hours allotted to those positions. Over the course of the first five years, MLS estimates that this will result in a savings of about $27,000 per year for the MLS operating budget.
As part of the consolidation, the business office, athletic department, and registrars office have now been relocated to areas adjacent to the current administrative office. Moving to one central location has increased efficiency for the administrative staff and business office.
The foundation has now been moved to the area formerly occupied by the business office. This will allow for easier access to our offices by visitors and donors. It will also provide more visibility for the foundation by being located on the main level.
The office of the foundation and the adjacent athletic directors office are being transformed into a faculty work space and meeting area. This will allow the current faculty room to be transformed into additional space for the newly combined administrative and business office.
All of this will result in better and more efficient use of the available space on campus.
Phase Two – Completed!
One of the projects within the Big Backyard Project was to replace the visitor side bleachers on the football field. After decades of use, these bleachers had become unsafe to use and had to be demolished in the spring of 2018. We are happy to report that the new, safe bleachers have been installed! Visit us on Facebook to see photos of the updates to campus. We give thanks to God for the generous donors who are making this project possible!
Phase Three – Completed!
The home bleachers are completed! The old bleachers were removed and sections that were able to be salvaged have been moved to Cardinal Field to be given a new life near the track area. #MLSbigBackyard
Now that the home bleachers have been installed, the next step in the project is to complete the construction of a permanent press box, concessions facility, and restrooms. Having a permanent area for concessions and restrooms is anticipated to save funds from the school’s operating budget that is currently spent on renting portable toilets and making repairs to the concessions trailer. Watch for more details coming soon!
The entire project is being completed through the generous support of donors, and we thank God for their generosity and support of Christian education at Michigan Lutheran Seminary!
2005 – Present
Projects the MLS Foundation has supported at MLS and other area WELS ministries
- Airfare funding for a mid-year Project Titus trip to a congregation in Florida
- $30,000 in operational support
- Art educators continuing education workshop
- Spanish classroom library
- Support for the WELS Grade School Science & Fine Arts Fair
- Camera, lens, and photography workshop for PR and student yearbook staff
- Softball equipment (pitching machine balls, indoor practice balls, bat bag)
- Virtual tour of campus for the MLS website
- Football helmets, shoulder pads, and blocking sled
- Entry fee for Trinity LES, Bay City, to play in the Lutheran State Basketball Tournament
- Faculty fellowship grant
- Classroom tables
- Grant to Trinity Lutheran, Bay City, MI for adjustable basketball hoops
- Refurbishing two wrestling mats and purchasing one new mat for tournaments
- Portable grill for the JV softball team to take to away games
- Batting cage at Cardinal Field
- Replacement of visitors’ bleachers
- Rubber weight bumpers for the weight room
- Purchase of four new pianos for MLS (two performance-quality and two practice-quality instruments)
- Funding for a faculty farewell party and welcome reception
- Treadmill for the weight room
- Softball pitching machine
- Rhino balls for PE and recruitment events
- Cardinal Pride shirts for recruitment
- Initial phase of the Big Backyard Project – office consolidation
- Support for collaborative ministry meeting
- AEDs & First Aid kits
- Art display boards
- Luther movie screening
- Cardinal Field sign
- AED for the MLS Trainer
- Replacement of the gate to the athletic field and Hardin Street landscaping refresh
- Folding picnic tables
- Pizza with a Professor – Spring Exam Preparation
- VIP Student Ambassador shirts
- Upgrade for Hudl Sideline
- New camera lens
- Replacement of the old kettle system in the kitchen
- New equipment for Track & Field and Cross Country teams
- Outdoor basketball court
- Digital displays
- Replacement of floor tile in the 1950s wing
- Repair of brick at the Hardin Street entrance
- Restoration of the “S” that was preserved during the 2010 chapel renovation
- Wi-Fi & technology upgrades
- Phone & voicemail system replacement
- Dorm workout room
- 1:1 Laptop program
- Football goalposts
- Dormitory renovation
- Scoreboard controllers for the gym
- Concert Choir airfare for their tour to the Southwest
- Booster Club concessions tent
- Game room refresh
- Video streaming equipment and service
- Koine concert at homecoming
- Baseball scoreboard
- Wireless headsets for the athletic department
- Hudl software for the athletic department
- Cardinal mascot costume
- Chapel renovation
- Gym repainting
- Bleacher repairs
- Commemorative Brick Walkway